Does My Child Have Autism?

For a child to receive a formal diagnosis of autism in WA they need to be referred by a pediatrician to an autism specific diagnostic team.

Each team consists of a psychologist and a speech pathologist. They use autism specific diagnostic criteria and evaluation tools to assess a child’s individual developmental and cognitive ability, behaviours, social and communication skills.

A formal document of assessment/diagnosis is then provided. If you have any concerns about your child’s development please speak to your Child Health Nurse or GP.